2011 Top 10 ListDJ Dharmic X (This Culture Never Dies)
- The Roots - "Undun" (Def Jam Records)
- Phonte - "Charity Begins At Home" (Foreign Exchange Music)
- Common - "The Dreamer, The Believer" (Warner Bros.)
- Kendrick Lamar - "#Section80" (Top Dog Entertainment)
- Slaine - "A World with No Skies 2.0" (Suburban Noize Records)
- Pharoahe Monch - "We Are Renegades (W.A.R.)" (Duck Down Records)
- Royce da 5'9 - "Success is Certain " (Gracie Productions)
- Reks - "Rhythmic Eternal King Supreme (R.E.K.S.)" (Showoff Records)
- Joell Ortiz - "Free Agent" (E1 Music)
- Saigon - "The Greatest Story Never Told" (Suburban Noize Records)
I restricted my list to albums put out for sale. There were a LOT of great albums this year... These are just ten of my favorites. Honorable mentions go out to Violence Begets Violence by Jedi Mind Tricks, Radioactive by Yelawolf, Monumental by Smiff-N-Wessun & Pete Rock, Shaolin vs. Wu-Tang by Raekwon, Well Done by Action Bronson & Statik Selektah, For the Record by Torae, and the list really could go on.
There were a lot of free projects that were incredible too:
The Martyr by Immortal Technique
The Great Debater by Skyzoo
Afraid of Heights by Omen
In the Meanwhile by Voli
Elmatic by Elzhi
Doobies x Popsicle Sticks by Nitty Scott, MC
Premier by Gorilla Warfare Tactics
I honestly could ramble on for days.
One word to describe 2011: Renaissance
A prediction for next year: The Middle Passage will come out.